What does it mean in practice?
Cybersecurity is the practice and processes implemented to protect information, assets and infrastructure from a cyber-attack. Cyber-crime is continuing to increase globally, affecting large and small businesses. The vast majority of companies are vulnerable to an attack, as it only becomes apparent what cybersecurity they need once the attack has taken place.
In most cases, there is a distinct lack of risk management within organisations when it comes to likely cyber-attacks and this is simply because it is very difficult to plan for an attack when you are not aware of what type of threat you are facing.
Are you up to date with your risk management strategy?
Apart from having to protect your business and the software you use within that, it is also essential to keep personal information of employees and clients safe.
Cyber Security Risk Assessments
A cybersecurity risk assessment can quickly identify if there are potential gaps in an organisation’s system and a number of industries such as financial institutions are required by law to conduct these on a regular basis.
There are five key points that every organisation should undertake with regards to their online safety:
Consider Penetration Testing
Penetration Testing is used to identify what level of risk users face by testing and compromising servers to find potential weaknesses. The testing can be done internally or externally and is carried out in the same way as an adversary may us.
It is typically carried out in a number of steps:
- Gathering all essential and valuable intelligence about the application being tested.
- Identifying different threats or types of threats and categorising by importance.
- Vulnerability testing – Using specific tools like OpenVAS, Nessus, Acunetix, Wapiti or Nikto, identifying systems that could potentially be leveraged by an attack.
- Using a series of non-destructive types of testing, attempting to access the system and applications that may be targeted by an attacker.
- After the test has been completed a thorough and comprehensive report is issued giving details of vulnerabilities, misconfigurations, threat analysis countermeasures with mitigation techniques, risk identification, good practices and recommendations.
What do you need to know about Cyber Security?
We’ve created a 15 page document to cover everything you need to know about Cyber Security Reviews.
Covering everything from: